5 Essential Oil Diffuser Blends for Meditation
Essential oils have the potential to play an incredibly subtle yet profound role within meditation. Before, during and after we meditate, they have the ability to help calm and open our minds and ground our bodies.
This selection of essential oil diffuser blends were mindfully created to help ground and center you and support your intentions as you meditate or practice yoga.
Everyone can respond to essential oils and blends differently. These blends are offered as a starting point and as inspiration in discovering the blends that help to enhance and nurture you best as you meditate.
Essential Oil Conservation and Sustainability Considerations
Several of the essential oils that are most widely appreciated for their beneficial role within meditation come from plants that are threatened. When using these particular essential oils in your meditation and other blends, it's important to be sure that you are purchasing them from companies that ensure sustainability in their practices.
For more information, see AromaWeb's Guide to Essential Oils and Sustainability.
- Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil (Cedrus atlantica)
- Elemi Essential Oil (Canarium luzonicum)
- Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia sacra)
- Palo Santo Essential Oil (Bursera graveolens)
- Sandalwood Essential Oil (Santalum album)
- Spikenard Essential Oil (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- Select one of the essential oil diffuser recipe blends shown below.
- Create the blend by adding the proper amount of each essential oil to a dark-colored glass bottle.
- Once you try the blend and confirm that it benefits you, you can double or triple the batch. However, when adding essential oils to your diffuser do not exceed the number of drops suitable for use in your particular brand and model diffuser.
These blends are intended for diffuser use by adults. Less is more with essential oils. These blends are undiluted and some blends contain phototoxic oils. They should not be applied topically. Because these blends include essential oils that can be very relaxing, avoid diffusing these blends while driving or when you need full focus. Be sure to follow all safety precautions and always research the safety info and contraindications for each essential oil that you are considering working with. Aromatherapy should not be used as a substitute for proper medical treatment.
- Add 1-3 drops of one of the below blends to your diffuser.
- Every diffuser is different, so refer to the manufacturer's instructions that came with your diffuser to know how many drops is appropriate to add to your particular diffuser. Thicker essential oils and citrus oils must be carefully used in particular types of diffuser models including atomizing and ultrasonic diffusers. Check the instructions that come with your diffuser for specific information.
Meditation Diffuser Blend #1
All three of the essential oils called for in this beautiful meditation blend are distilled from resins. Resins have traditionally played an important role in meditation, spirituality, and subtle applications.
Meditation Diffuser Blend #2
- 3 drops Palo Santo Essential Oil
- 3 drops Virginian Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 2 drops Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Palo Santo Essential Oil is steam distilled from the dead wood of this revered tree. Palo santo and juniper berry oils are said to help clear the area of negative energy. Virginian Cedarwood Essential Oil is grounding and combines wonderfully to help support mindfulness and meditation.
Meditation Diffuser Blend #3
Sandalwood and patchouli essential oils are both deep, powerful oils that are grounding and calming. Bergamot Essential Oil, is a beautifully calming citrus oil that helps to balance and sweeten the blend.
Meditation Diffuser Blend #4
- 4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 4 drops Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 2 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Anecdotally, I have heard several accounts that have suggested pairing of frankincense and helichrysum oils for meditation and spiritual applications. I personally find the two work well together for supporting meditation. I enjoy adding a touch of Sweet Orange Essential Oil to soften and sweeten the blend and uplift my space.
Meditation Diffuser Blend #5
- 4 drops Sandalwood Essential Oil Essential Oil
- 4 drops Virginian Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cistus Essential Oil
Cistus Essential Oil is a beautifully grounding and supportive essential oil that blends synergistically with sandalwood and Virginian cedarwood oils.
Sources for More Information About the Essential Oils Used In These Blends
- Salvatore Battaglia, The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy Third Edition Volume 1 - Foundations & Materia Medica (Brisbane Australia: Black Pepper Creative, 2018).
- Valerie Ann Worwood, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, 25th Anniversary Edition (Novato, CA: New World Library, 2016.
- Neryls Purchon and Lora Cantele, Complete Aromatherapy & Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness (Toronto ON: Robert Rose, 2014).
- Julia Lawless, The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils (Updated Edition) (London: Harper Thorsons, 2014).
General Safety Information
These recipes are offered for educational purposes only. Before using any essential oil, carefully read AromaWeb's Essential Oil Safety Information page. For in-depth information on oil safety issues, read Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young. Do not take any oils internally and do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin without advanced essential oil knowledge or consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. For general dilution information, read AromaWeb's Guide to Diluting Essential Oils. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children, the elderly, if you have medical issues or are taking medications.
Do You Need the Ingredients Listed in This Recipe?
You can find the essential oils, other ingredients and packaging that you need by patronizing the fine companies that support AromaWeb with their banner advertising located throughout AromaWeb (See them all at a glance within the Advertiser Spotlight area) and the listings located within the Aromatherapy Business Directory. Many of AromaWeb's advertisers also expertly formulate their own ready-made products if you decide you'd rather not make aromatherapy products yourself.
Do You Want More Essential Oil Recipes and Blends?
Over 800 Recipes:
The Complete Book Of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy
Also known as "The Fragrant Pharmacy" in the UK.
Author: Valerie Ann Worwood
Over 100 Recipes:
The Heart of Aromatherapy
Author: Andrea Butje
The Aromatherapy Beauty Guide
Using the Science of Carrier & Essential Oils to Create Natural Personal Care Products
Author: Danielle Sade, BSc, CAHP