Essential Oil Recipes for Balancing the Chakras
Topical Essential Oil Chakra Blends
I personally find that the best way to bring balance to a clogged or congested chakra is to work directly on the chakra by applying a suitable skin-safe essential oil blend. Below is the general method in which I prepare my own aromatherapy chakra blends:
- 1 oz. Pure Carrier Oil
Jojoba is a good choice as it is nutritive for the skin and is a more stable carrier.
- 8 drops Essential Oil
Select essential oils that are known to be skin safe and that are shown to help balance the chakra that you want to focus upon and clear. Each of the individual chakra pages located on AromaWeb lists essential oils that may help balance that particular chakra (scroll down on this page to view the links). Bear in mind that some oils listed for each individual chakra are not the gentlest on the skin or can be contraindicated in some situations, so you want to verify the safety information for each. For instance, Rosemary Essential Oil is known to help balance the Solar Plexus Chakra, but it's best to avoid Rosemary Essential Oil if you are pregnant or have epilepsy. Since you will be applying this blend directly to your skin, be sure that you select a single essential oil or a combination (synergy) of essential oils that are not irritating to the skin as some essential oils can be irritating even when diluted.
- 1 oz. Clean Dark Glass Bottle
I prefer to use bottles that have either an orifice reducer or treatment pump top.
- Add the carrier oil and essential oil to your bottle and label it. The blend does not have to be highly aromatic to be effective. Remember to never apply essential oils to the skin without first diluting them. Read AromaWeb's Safety Information for general safety information in working with essential oils.
- In a quiet, peaceful setting, add 2-3 drops of your Topical Chakra Blend to your fingertips and then lightly apply the Chakra Blend to the associated chakra in a clockwise direction.
- For the root chakra, I usually apply my blend either to my feet and/or to my lower back, near my tailbone, but not directly on it.
- Do not apply your blend on your genitals. Keep your blend away from mucous membranes, your eyes or any areas of your body that have damaged skin or are prone to sensitivity or irritation. Discontinue use of the blend if you discover irritation.
- Once you have applied the blend, focus upon positive thoughts and intentions aimed towards balancing the chakra.
- Ideal times to use the blend are during times of meditation or while practicing yoga, listening to peaceful music or relaxing.
Essential Oil Diffusion
Another helpful method that can help bring balance to your energy centers is to diffuse essential oils that are known to help restore balance to the chakra(s) that you are working with. Each individual Chakra page on AromaWeb lists the essential oils known to bring balance to that particular chakra (see the links below). Simply diffuse one or a combination of the essential oils while you meditate, practice yoga, listen to peaceful music or relax. Be sure that you refer to the directions that came with your particular electric or passive diffuser. If you are new to the idea of diffusion, visit AromaWeb's All About Diffusers article.
Aromatherapy Book Recommendations
Author: Joni Keim Loughran and Ruah Bull
Summary: Aromatherapy and Subtle Energy Techniques introduces beginners to the concepts of the chakras (the energy centers of the body), subtle energy techniques, and how to incorporate the use of essential oils into energy work.
Author: Valerie Ann Worwood
ISBN: 1-57731-562-2 / 978-1577315629
Summary: Aromatherapy for the Soul is helpful if you're looking for a deeper introduction into the role that aromatherapy and aromatic botanicals play within spirituality in general and within your own personal spiritual practices.