Using Essential Oils to Minimize the Risk of Contracting the Flu
The H1N1 virus, originally referred to as the Swine Flu, was causing a great deal of fear amongst all groups of our population at the time that I originally wrote this article. The tips in this article still remain relevant.
Can Essential Oils Prevent Me from Contracting a Flu Bug or Heal Me If I Get It?
Proper and safe use of anti-viral essential oils can help you lessen your exposure to the flu, but there is no guarantee that your use of essential oils will prevent you from contracting a flu bug. If you do contract the flu, aromatherapy and essential oils may help to lessen your symptoms.
AromaWeb's Reducing the Risk of Contracting Flus and Colds With Aromatherapy article offers practical details and tips that can help you fight H1N1 and other nasty cold and flu bugs using essential oils.
General Steps to Help Reduce Risks of Contacting the Flu
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a reputable source for the most up to date news regarding the H1N1 outbreak and for learning simple ways to minimize your risk in contacting the H1N1 virus.
Below is a list that contains common sense suggestions and suggestions inspired by the H1N1 Epidemic and the CDC:
- When you are out in public, try to minimize the surfaces that you touch, and wash your hands often. If you are shopping and spot someone nearby that is ill and not taking considerate measures to cover their mouth/nose when they cough/sneeze, leave the store or vicinity until they've departed. Shoppers will still be at risk by touching the items that shopper may have touched, but by simply taking the initiative to steer clear of visibly sick individuals, you will reduce your risk.
- Make it an absolute habit to never touch your eyes, nose, mouth or face anytime you are out and about. Wash your hands the moment you get back home.
- If you can't wash your hands, use a hand sanitizer. An easy recipe for a natural hand sanitizer can be found within AromaWeb's Aromatherapy to Help Combat Colds and Flus article.
- Stress and anxiety can strain your immune system and reduce your ability to fight off viruses like H1N1. Utilize aromatherapy as one method of helping to combat stress and anxiety.
- Minimize sugar intake. Sugars and glucose, including the natural sugars found in fruits can burden the immune system and make it harder to fight off disease. Reducing your sugar intake will not only help reduce the risk of diabetes, but it can also help your immune system fight off viruses like H1N1.
- Nourish your body with healthy foods. Ensure that you drink plenty of water and eat nourishing whole foods to help you help your body stay healthy.
Be Considerate of Others When You're Ill
- If you are ill with any type of cold/flu virus, show common courtesy by waiting to dine out, run errands and do other non-essential public matters until you have recovered. Parents, also show courtesy by keeping sick children home. I can't count the times I've seen parents let sick children cough and sneeze on food items in the grocery store and other inconsiderate behaviors.
- If ill with any cold/flu virus and applicable in your situation, talk to your employer about your illness and see if you can stay home or offers for you to work from home while you recover.
- If you must cough or sneeze while around others, cover your mouth, ideally by coughing or sneezing into your shoulder and elbow. This prevents you from transferring your germs onto your hands and then onto the surfaces that you touch. And for everyone's sake, wash your hands often.
AromaWeb's Reducing the Risk of Contracting H1N1, Flus and Colds With Aromatherapy article offers practical details and tips that can help you fight H1N1 and other nasty cold and flu bugs using essential oils.
Aromatherapy is not a substitute for complete medical care.