Handbook of Essential Oils: Science, Technology, and Applications
Handbook of Essential Oils: Science, Technology, and Applications, Second Edition
Editors: K. Husnu Can Baser; Gerhard Buchbauer
Publisher: CRC Press
ISBN: 1466590467 / 978-1466590465
This page contains affiliate links. Get details.
The Handbook of Essential Oils is a vast compilation of 26 chapters, written and presented by over 20 experts within their respective fields. This impressive, well-referenced, 1,128-page publication covers a great deal of ground surrounding the history, chemistry, production, applications, storage and marketing of essential oils.
With the majority of essential oil and aromatherapy books merely reciting anecdotal evidence and providing few references, the second edition of the Handbook of Essential Oils is likely to be an asset for all holistic aromatherapy students and educators, and for industry professionals seeking well referenced, scientifically presented documentation that covers the field of essential oils. The Aromatherapy Registration Council (ARC) includes the Handbook of Essential Oils within their list of Recommended References for assistance in preparing for the ARC Registration Examination.
Although the Handbook of Essential Oils isn't written exclusively for those working within the field of holistic aromatherapy, most all chapters provide relevant information of importance to those within the field.
Be sure to scroll down to review the full table of contents.
From the Back Cover
The second edition of Handbook of Essential Oils: Science, Technology, and Applications provides a much-needed compilation of information related to the development, use, and marketing of essential oils. It focuses particularly on the chemistry, pharmacology, and biological activities of essential oils, with contributions from a worldwide group of expert authorities on their historical, biological, regulatory, and biotransformation aspects.
Features in the Second Edition
- New chapters on the natural variability of components that often occurs in essential oils and on the natural processes that cause adulteration of essential oils
- Revisions, updates, and expansions of previous chapters
- Splits a previous chapter on biological activities of essential oils into two separate chapters on biological activities and antioxidative properties
The book covers a wide range of areas applicable to essential oils research, including sources, production, analysis, storage, transport, chemistry, aromatherapy, pharmacology, toxicology, metabolism, technology, biotransformation, application, utilization, and trade. It includes discussions of biological activity testing, results of antimicrobial and antioxidant tests, and penetration-enhancing activities useful in drug delivery.
A continuation of its preceding edition that features enhanced and expanded information, the second edition of Handbook of Essential Oils provides you with a broad and authoritative knowledge base in the study and use of essential oils.
Contents of the Second Edition of the Handbook of Essential Oils: Science, Technology, and Applications:
- Chapter 1: Introduction
K. Husnu Can Baser and Gerhard Buchbauer
- Chapter 2: History and Sources of Essential Oil Research
- Chapter 3: Sources of Essential Oils
Chlodwig Franz and Johannes Novak
- Chapter 4: Natural Variability of Essential Oil Components
- Chapter 5: Production of Essential Oils
- Chapter 6: Chemistry of Essential Oils
- Charles Sell
- Chapter 7: Analysis of Essential Oils
Barbara d'Acampora Zellner, Paola Dugo, Giovanni Dugo, and Luigi Mondello
- Chapter 8: Safety Evaluation of Essential Oils: A Constituent-Based Approach Utilized for Flavor Ingredients - An Update
Sean V. Taylor
- Chapter 9: Metabolism of Terpenoids in Animal Models and Humans
Walter Jäger and Martina Hoferl
- Chapter 10: Biological Activities of Essential Oils: An Update
Gerhard Buchbauer and Romona Bohusch
- Chapter 11: Antioxidative Properties of Essential Oils and Single Fragrance Compounds
Gerhard Buchbauer and Marina Erkic
- Chapter 12: Effects of Essential Oils in the Central Nervous System
- 12.1: Central Nervous System Effects of Essential Oils in Humans
- 12.2: Psychopharmacology of Essential Oils
Domingos Sávio Nunes, Viviane de Moura Linck, Adriana Lourenço da Silva, Micheli Figueiró, and Elaine Elisabetsky
- Chapter 13: Phytotherapeutic Uses of Essential Oils
- Chapter 14: In Vitro Antimicrobial Activities of Essential Oils Monographed in the European Pharmacopoeia 8th Edition
Alexander Pauli and Heinz Schilcher
- Chapter 15: Aromatherapy with Essential Oils
- Chapter 16: Essential Oils Used in Veterinary Medicine
K. Husnii Can Baser and Choldwig Franz
- Chapter 17: Use of Essential Oils in Agriculture
Gerhard Buchbauer and Susanne Hemetsberger
- Chapter 18: Adulteration of Essential Oils
Erich Schmidt and Jurgen Wanner
- Chapter 19: Biotransformation of Monoterpenoids by Microorganisms, Insects, and Mammals
Yoshiaki Noma and Yoshinori Asakawa
- Chapter 20: Biotransformation of Sesquiterpenoids, Ionones, Damascones, Adamantanes, and Aromatic Compounds by Green Algae, Fungi, and Mammals
Yoshinori Asakawa and Yoshiaki Noma
- Chapter 21: Industrial Uses of Essential Oils
- Chapter 22: Encapsulation and Other Programmed Release Techniques for Essential Oils and Volatile Terpenes
- Chapter 23: Trade of Essential Oils
- Chapter 24: Storage, Labeling, and Transport of Essential Oils
Jens Jankowski, Jens-Achim Protzen, and Klaus-Dieter Protzen
- Chapter 25: Aroma-Vital Cuisine: Healthy and Delightful Consumption by the Use of Essential Oils
Maria M. Kettenring and Lara-M. Vucemilovic Geeganage
- Chapter 26: Recent EU Legislation on Flavors and Fragrances and Its Impact on Essential Oils
Jan C.R. Demyttenaere
Amazon.com typically offers this book
for the lowest price around.
Learn more and view pricing!