Why Is the Quality/Purity of an Essential Oil Important?
Those practicing holistic medicine focus upon using complete, unaltered essential oils and herbs. The belief is that by using the complete botanical, there is a synergistic effect between all the components within the plant that help support the primary therapeutic functions of the botanical. For example, one of the side effects of using pure "unbuffered" aspirin is that it can severely upset the stomach and can even promote stomach ulcers. Using large doses of White Willow Bark, an herb that contains the active components that give aspirin its ability relieve pain, can certainly cause the same complications, but White Willow Bark is more gentle when used moderately in its whole state.
If you are over 30, you probably recall that there were far fewer people with asthma and allergies when you were growing up then there are today. And far fewer people with skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. My personal belief is that the growing number of individuals with these conditions is directly related to the increased use of medications, processed foods and skin care products containing synthetics.
There is a lot to be said for focusing upon consuming and using natural ingredients including pure essential oils that have not been blended with synthetics. Essential oils that have been adulterated or tampered are no longer pure, whole, natural substances.
This topic consists of several separate related articles. Use the links shown below to navigate through the series.
- Part 1: Introduction
- Part 2: Why Is the Quality/Purity of an Essential Oil Important?
- Part 3: Aren't Most Essential Oils Pure?
- Part 4: Constituents - What do Essential Oils Consist Of?
- Part 5: Quality vs. Purity - Aren't They the Same Thing?
- Part 6: Quantifiable Testing of Essential Oils
- Part 7: GC-MS Test Results - How Can They Be Used?
- Part 8: Organoleptic Testing of Essential Oils
- Part 9: Other Quantifiable Tests for Testing the Quality and Purity of Essential Oils
- Part 10: Essential Oil Quality and Purity Conclusion: Final Questions/Answers